Saturday, January 7, 2012

BS & Movin' On Up

So, let's just say that 2011 did  not end up in a stellar way.  We were told back in the spring, that the Navy would be making cuts.  You know, the economy being what it is right now AND with a presidential election coming up, the military was bound to get hit.  However, they kept moving the date as to when it was announced who was getting the boot.  First it was July.  Then it was August.  Then it was October.

But finally, on November 14th, I got the phone call from hubby.  "I didn't make the cut."

To quote my favorite Scott Bakula (duh, Quantum Leap folks!), "Oh, Boy."

Can I just say how much this SUCKED?!  Of course, I can, because this is MY blog and I'll cry if I want to.  But seriously, this SERIOUSLY sucked.  Here I am, grappling with this news that after 12 years of pretty good service, my husband was getting kicked to the curb because his number was seemingly-random picked.  We needed to act fast, lay out a plan so we could ready ourselves for the scary outside world.  Add in the fact that we are living IN Italy when this news comes out and you have stress-overload GALORE.

So we started hitting the internet streets, trying to find a job, a house, and a little peace of mind.  And it hit us.  *cue angels singing*  We realized that the best investment into our future would be to enter the American Dream: home ownership.

Now, let me tell you, buying a home over the internet is NOT for the faint of heart.  But since we had limited funds, we couldn't stomach the idea of spending over a grand sending one of us over there to "house hunt", especially with Christmas looming.  So we recruited some family members to help us do the ground pounding for us.

Enter:


I think for Robert it was love at first sight.  So we had our people check it out, to make sure it was the real deal.  And it was.

Fast forward to December 24th, and many phone calls with a mortgage company to make sure it really could be the home of our dreams, we put in an offer at 2:30 am (stupid time difference).  And it was accepted by the seller 2 days after.

YAY!

Now, for the whole thing to be complete, we are just waiting for the appraisal and the home inspections.  So we are a bit excited right now.  And we just hope that it doesn't come crashing down in the next few weeks.

The morale of this story is: Once you shovel up all the bullsh*t, you may find some daisies.

♥ G

4 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous and hate to admit....I am pretty excited that you will be back in town! I am so sorry that they just boot people so easily and doesn't seem right. Keep your head up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new home looks to be terrific. Much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house looks great and for what it's worth, I enjoy the reserves a lot more than I ever enjoyed active duty...

    ReplyDelete